Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Wild and Crazy Isaac


Disclaimer - Don't read the post if you don't want nightmares. I am just recording it because it is part of our family history. please be aware it is not a pleasant story and I still cry about it.

A few weeks ago we had a bad scare. I mean a really bad scare. One that will give me nightmares for the rest of my existence. We are all very grateful that all he walked away with was two broken arms.
Let me stress again, He I Just Fine. There is nothing wrong but two broken arms.
So now to the story... It happened Friday April first. (I swear this is no joke) We had just got home from the grocery store and we were in the middle of making dinner. The kids were playing outside till Isaac did something to his sister and was sent to his room for a time out. About 3 minutes later I hear a big thump just outside our kitchen and then I hear crying. Now I am a mom and I can usually tell the difference between my kids cries, which kid, if they are hurt, if they are mad, if they are scared, etc. For some reason this cry did not sound serious to me. don't get me wrong it was, but it was a strange cry that sounded like a startled scared but OK cry; something I should check but not worry about. I think I thought that because I had never heard that cry before. Well Lachlan knew what happened right away. I had forgotten Isaac was in his room. In my mind I thought he had been running around outside and lost his footing on the stairs and fell. Lachlan went right to him and and said to me he fell from his bedroom window. I went in to panic mode... Ran to my phone and called 911. somehow I was able to stay calm enough to to talk with the paramedics. They asked me several questions and then said someone was on their way. after that I called one of the few people we knew here in our ward, told them what happened and asked them to come and watch the girls so both Lachlan and I could go with Isaac. The fire truck and the ambulance arrived about five minutes later. I should mention at this point the condition of Isaac. He was conscious, upset, and little dazed. Lachlan had picked him up and moved him into our front room. we had covered him up with a blanket and Isaac was confused how he got there. He looked bad and both of us were terrified. When the paramedics came they pulled me away to ask me several more questions. That was hard because I could not be with Isaac and shortly after paramedics came my ward friend showed up and i had to explain things to her and let her know what she needed to know for the girls. Thankfully Lachlan was there to be with Isaac and he told me what they did and what Isaac said. The paramedics began by putting a neck brace on him and cutting Isaac's clothes off. Isaac was very concerned about being naked. He was also upset about his wrist hurting. that was the thing that he complained about the most. Though his face looked bad and like it had be hurting, the only thing that he was upset about was his right arm. The paramedics soon got him on the stretcher and asked about any special object that Isaac could use for comfort. We grabbed his favorite stuffed animal a large fruit bat. I then climbed in the ambulance with him and away we went to Children's Hospital. I had to sit up front which was hard with him in the back. I could hear the conversation that Isaac was having though. the paramedic was asking Isaac if he wanted some medicine for the pain he was in. Isaac was refusing it because it meant a shot. I could not believe it. Isaac was more concerned about getting any kind of shot than being in the pain he must have been in. the paramedic later told me they were more concerned with getting him worked up and more upset than worrying about whether he was comfortable, which makes sense. Lachlan came to the hospital in the car so he arrived between five and ten minutes after us. When we got there they rushed him into a trauma room filled with several doctors and nurses. they would not allow me in. I had to sit just outside the room and wait and listen. That was the most difficult time of this whole mess. People kept saying he was in good hands and he was being taken care of. well that was not why I was crying. I was crying because I wanted to be there holding his hand. I knew he was in good hands and I knew he was being taken care of, I just wanted to help him not be so scared. The worst was when I heard him cry because I assume they were putting in the IV. (remember the NO SHOTS statement he made earlier, well that was only good while in the ambulance, once in the hospital they wanted to give him some meds. much to Isaac's disappointment) The nurses though told me he was talking to the head doctor in the room and having a good conversation with him. He was talking about his dog casper and why casper was a black dog and not white. In the mean time the doctors were taking preliminary x-rays to look for major injuries before they moved him to another room for more thorough ones. The first ones they took were good and they decided to do a CT scan to check his brain and internal organs. I was allowed to see him before they took him in for a CT scan and he was so happy to see me. He gave me a hug and then said "mom when you die I will always remember you, always." I was so touched and just never wanted to let him go. I just wanted to hold him. But, again I was not allowed in the CT and x-ray rooms because I am pregnant, but they did allow Lachlan in with him. So for a half hour they were doing the CT scan and then numerous x-rays of his right arm. then they transferred us to an er room. By this time elders from the ward showed up to help Lachlan give Isaac a blessing and they also brought us food. Isaac was bandaged and wanting food (no one had had dinner yet) and he was sleepy. He was doing well though. much better than either Lachlan or me. Unfortunately he was not allowed to eat, which made him upset (in case your wondering, no we did not eat in front of him, we took turns and ate in the waiting room so he was unaware that we even had food). Doctors came in to check vitals and tell us what they thought. They were confident he was OK. their main concern as well as ours was if there was any brain damage or spine injury. The doctors said his CT scan looked good and the could not find any spine or skull injuries. They were also confident he would be fine mentally too because he never lost consciousness, and he was lucid as he was talking to all the doctors. They said he knows where he is and why he is here and he is aware of what is going on and what they need him to do. These were all very good signs for his mental capabilities. His right arm seemed to have a small impact fracture about an inch above his wrist. They brought in a pediatric orthopedic to look at his x-rays and to set the bones. For this the doctors had to partially sedate him so they could set the bones and put the splint on. After that they released us, and we could go home. We were only in the hospital for about four hours. The girls were taken to another ward members home for the night, so we could be with Isaac. When we got home Isaac told us the story about how he fell.


The next day we all sat together as a family and watched general conference. I would not let Isaac out of my site. Olivia did not see Isaac when he fell and had no idea why we left to suddenly the night before. She handled it well till she saw Isaac. His face looked swollen and scraped up and when Olivia saw it she was afraid to touch him because "I don't want to look like that too." She was afraid that Isaac was contagious. Once she saw me fussing all over Isaac and giving him lots of hugs and I was not looking like he did she decided she wanted to mother him also. She gave him lost of hugs and got toys for him and wanted to help him with everything. By the end of the day Isaac was getting annoyed by both me and Olivia. We did notice his left hand was very swollen and turning black and blue that day. So we called someone and they said they were not sure that it was x-rayed but that even if it was broken it could wait a few days since it was not bothering him. (he was put on pain killers for his other arm) When we took him in to the doctors for the cast on his right arm three days later we asked the doctor to look at it. The doctor gave Isaac an x-ray and confirmed what we thought. He had broken two bones in the palm of his hand. The doctor then put a cast on that hand the same time he put a cast on his right arm. Isaac loved it, and so did Olivia. He got to pick the color of his cast and they just loved watching it get put on. Olivia loves to tell every one why her brother has casts on his arms. Isaac has gotten very proficient, very quickly, at doing everything with casts on. I am very proud of him. He is totally back to normal, well almost. He gets his casts off this Friday, four weeks to the day of his accident. He wants to keep them so he can take them to school and show his class. I know they will be smelly. I just don't know how to talk him out of it.


I would just like to say I am very grateful for all of the service we received from friends, ward members, and medical personnel. And I am very grateful to still have Isaac with us and that he is OK. both Lachlan and I are blessed and glad to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a comfort in our lives. Thank you.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

coruscant97 said...

We're really glad everyone's as OK as can be expected! We miss you guys. We'll be putting iron bars on our kid's' 2nd story windows (when we finally close on the house... finally...)

Lara Zierke said...

Holy cow! How terrifying. How lucky that two broken arms is all little Isaac suffered.

Stacey Kirchner said...

I am so glad you were taken care of! I wish I was there to give you a hug and to help out. Thank heavens for the church! So glad Isaac is better. Love and miss you!!