Friday, June 1, 2012

Annular solar eclipse


This was so cool!  An annular solar eclipse was right over Albuquerque this year and we saw it.  For those who don't know, an annular eclipse is where the moon passes directly in front of the sun only it is too far away to cover the whole sun so you are left with a perfect ring of fire in the sky.  I tried taking pictures of it and I didn't realise I got any until after otherwise I would have taken more.  Isaac was the most interested in watching it.  Olivia and Katie just wanted to play at the park.  It was fun to watch at the park.  I was surprised how crowded it was.  More people came to watch the eclipse than I thought.  It never really got dark, maybe slightly darker but there were still shadows and you had to wear the glasses any time you looked at the sun.  The picture above of the sun was taken about 30 minutes before totality.  the eclipse lasted about 4 minutes.  I totally want to watch another one.  I do know there is a total solar eclipse in 2017 in the US.  I am so looking forward to it!

No comments: