OK. Here is my dilemma. I want to lose this pregnancy weight. I want to look good this summer. If you did not know, I spent last summer in a maternity swim suit. I want to fit into those skinny jeans.
The problem is, I also want to nurse my little girl. I love this connection I have with her. I love the convenience of nursing. I love giving her the nutrition she needs. I love letting her determine the amount of food she needs. I just love nursing. I know it is not for everyone and it can be really difficult sometimes. There are definite drawbacks, like mastitis (ouch), or the fact that I never know what cup size I am and I can guarantee that it will change though out the day and not always evenly. The biggest drawback for me right now is that I want to lose weight.
I have been working out like mad. and I am feeling really good, but I am not really losing weight. So what is the thing that I should be doing... DIETING. Or so I want to. I usually eat a lot. when I say a lot I mean more servings than Lachlan. I also eat a lot of sugar and fat. I just cant get enough. So this last week I decided to reduce my portion size and not eat so much sugar. You know, the bare minimum of what you could call a "diet". The diet that is usually all I have to do to lose a bit of weight.
Well after about four days I notice that my milk supply has gone down. Katie is more hungry, more cranky, and when she tries to nurse she does not get what she wants. She absolutely refuses bottles. And I mean she screams, and spits, and will have nothing to do with a bottle. So what do I do? If I want to keep nursing, which I do and Katie obviously wants me to continue too, I need to eat more. And more particularly, I believe, I need the sugar and fat too. The exercise does not seem to affect my milk. So this is my dilemma. I guess the best I can hope for right now is to exercise and maintain my weight and hope I am losing inches instead of pounds and that once I stop nursing the pounds will just melt away.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know- it's a hard debate. I think you're doing a good thing by nursing Katie- it's good for her and it's good for you and it's building a bond. (btw, I'm not saying bottle feeders are evil but there is just something special about breast feeding).
That said, here's my advice. Try changing your diet. Not in HOW MUCH you eat. But WHAT you eat. I think that will help you and Katie. Then she'll get used to different flavors through your milk. Eat nutrient rich foods (like whole foods, fruits, vegetables). Yes a certain amount of fat and sugar I believe is helpful in your milk supply. Here's a list of nutrient rich foods: http://www.nutrientrichfoods.org/for_health_professionals/pdf/NRShoppingList.pdf
If you need more suggestions/ help talk to Rachel Haines- she's a nutritionist. Other then that enjoy your time nursing your girl- it goes by so fast and you'll love that bond you have with her. I know I think I have such a strong bond w/ Leilani b/c I nursed her nearly the full 12 months.
Good luck!
You look fabulous to me. And hey, my baby is 12 and I have just ow lost my "baby fat"!!!!! For me, it's the gluten. I so wish I could get inspired to excersize. Tomorrow perhaps. :) Me thinks you are grand just the wa you are.
Post a Comment