Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Big bug

Isaac found a bug like this one crawling across the back yard.  This picture is of one I found a few weeks ago.  It is missing its tail and if you can't tell this one is 4 inches long, the one Isaac found was 6 inches with the tail.  Its called a giant vinegaroon.  It is a whipscorpion.  But what I have read online says it is harmless.  It does not look it with the long legs, tail, and large pinchers, not to mention the size of the darn thing.  I am told it eats other scorpions though so it is good to have in the yard.  I am still debating that notion.

2 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

Yuck. I have never seen anything like that.

Jan Arnold said...

They were in our yard in AZ all the time. They can be very mean and agressive not to mention ugly. It's fun living in the desert!